Saturday, October 4, 2014

Cackalack Attack

First things first, let's clear up some slang rules. If you are a native of North Carolina, you have undoubtedly heard the slang words "cackalacky" and "cackalack" thrown about when referring to our beautiful home state. More than likely, alcohol was involved when these slang words were slurred. That alcohol was possibly distilled on someone's back porch, and could easily substitute for high powered paint thinner.

So, back to the slang words. I declare the following as the official and final rules of usage: cackalack is to be used only for North Carolina; cackalacky is to be used only for South Carolina. This may upset some folks. Some may even vehemently disagree. Sorry, you are wrong. My rules. Deal with it.

If you are finished spitting and raging at your screen because you disagree with my rules, let's get to the point of this post - Cackalack Attack. I've run a good number of races in Cackalack, my favorites usually in state parks. In fact, of my top 3 favorite races, 2 are in state parks - Medoc Trail Marathon in Medoc Mountain State Park, and Umstead Trail Marathon in Umstead State Park. Since I'm the sort of idiot who chases stupid challenges, I've decided that I will run every single race that takes place in a state park in Cackalack.

The Cackalack Attack should keep me occupied for a few years. There are 41 state parks (or recreation areas or preserves) in Cackalack. I'm not sure how many of them host a race.


Out of those 41, here are the ones where I've already run a race:
  • Umstead State Park - Umstead Trail Marathon
  • Medoc Mountain State Park - Medoc Trail Marathon
  • Eno River State Park - Eno River Run
  • Pilot Mountain State Park - Pilot Mountain 5K
  • Hanging Rock State Park - Top of the Mountain To Ya!
  • Falls Lake - MST 12 Miler and MST 50K
I'll update this post as I find races to assign to the parks, but if you know of any, please leave a comment. And if you want to join me in the Cackalack Attack, I'm up for carpooling and sharing post race beers. But you'll have to put up with my injury moaning and whining. Sorry, all good things come with a price. 

4 comments:

  1. I was just looking at the Raven Rock Rumble. It's 15 Nov and has 5 and 10 mile options.

    For your goal is the idea to do a race in each park or to do every race held in a park? I know you've done Eno 11, is Eno 6 still on the lis? For that matter did you just make the Umstead 100 one of your goals?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about Raven Rock for this year. It's been on my list for a while. The idea is to do at least one race in every park, just to experience the park. I'm not going to run U100, probably ever. Knees just won't allow it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! You've already done MST at Falls Lake, so this will be a cinch. I've never done Raven Rock either. Here are a few:
    Grandfather Mountain marathon
    Mt. Mitchell challenge (cough cough)
    Mt. Jefferson Challenge (put on by the New River people)
    Search for the Mountain Goat series includes races at Morrow Mountain, South Mountain, and Lake James
    Goose Creek Trail Races (Nov. 15, Tar River Running)
    Weymouth Woods 100

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph! I'll add those to the list. Mt. Mitchell will probably be too much for me, unless I count the Black Mountain Marathon as an event for Mitchell.

      Delete

Sorry about the captcha. Spammers ruin everything.