Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Better Half - Medoc Trail Marathon 2012

I've been one upped by my better half. Again! It's been all I could do to stay ahead of my wife in terms of speed and endurance since she started running again last year, but now she's closing in, fast. Sherri just ran her first marathon. A trail marathon at that!

While I was leaving chunks of my left nipple on the trail at Medoc Mountain State park, Sherri was somewhere on the same course not falling down. Not even tripping. Not even once! There are no trail gods. They are all goddesses. And they enjoy laughing at me. And unlike when I finished my first marathon, barely dodging the scythe of the grim reaper himself as I stumbled across the finish line, Sherri finished with a smile on her face.





Then to really rub it in, she took a whole week off and ran another half marathon! I could barely walk for a month after my first marathon.

Well, this post isn't really about me (yes, it is!). I just wanted to take the opportunity to publicly congratulate my beautiful wife on running her first (cough!) trail marathon with style and class. I was wondering who took all my style and class suppositories from the medicine cabinet. And then, to prove you could be even more stubborn than me, you ran a half marathon a week later with an aching knee. And now you are injured (although only slightly). I couldn't be prouder. 

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for you. It's only a matter of time until you're changing her shoes at 2am in the pouring rain during her first a 100 miler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awful. 2AM is prime sleep time for me.

      Delete
  2. Congrats to your wife. Condolences to your ego. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife thanks you. My ego is busy sulking in the corner.

      Delete
  3. Congrats to your wife (alas to you)! Feel my pain: my husband is a running coach! But what was her trail name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph. Sherri's trail name was, appropriately enough, "Better Half".

      Delete
  4. Be careful! If you can not outrun her you will be helpless when she is angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I can still hide from her.

      Delete
  5. Congrats to Sherri! How awesome that she felt so strong and good enough to do a half the next weekend! I sympathize with you as I was very sore after my first marathon - the handicap stalls were my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I had completely forgotten about the toilet squat agony.

      Delete

Sorry about the captcha. Spammers ruin everything.