Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mugged By A Naked Chocolatier - Godiva Summer Track Series

Lady Godiva beat me senseless with a baseball bat. A baseball bat covered in rusty, jagged nails. She beat my feet, my calves, my knees, my thighs and my lower back. She left me a quivering wreck, slumped in the seat of my car, nearly unable to shift gears or operate the clutch. To make the beating so much more humbling, she only took a dollar from me. Not an altogether expensive mugging, but a first class beating none the less.

I've been working on getting "faster" lately. I stink at it. Running fast hurts both physically and mentally. Physically, the lower half of my body just hates the fast turn over, and in my case, the harder pounding of my feet against the ground (I know this is form issue, but like I said, I stink at running fast). Mentally, my inner Captain Kirk is pounding on the con demanding warp speed, but getting only impulse drive. And he's not happy about that.

Ok, I admit it. My first session at the Godiva Summer Track Series left me bruised and battered physically, but I really enjoyed the experience, regardless of the frustration of my inner Captain Kirk. The fact that I'm still hobbling around like a car accident victim a day later doesn't mean that I won't go back for more sessions, because I definitely plan on returning. Even with the bruised left foot, and angry right ankle (self diagnosis - medial lateral plantar dorsal achillecankleitisneuroma), I managed to set my fastest mile time since high school (decades ago) - 6:19. And I did it while running barefoot! Although, now that I have stoked the fires of the metatarsalgia in my left foot, that may not have been such a wise decision. But still, a modern era PR! Woo hoo!

If I don't completely disintegrate, or end up in the emergency room beaten nearly to death, I have a few goals I would like to accomplish during this series.

  1. Learn to run "faster" and not feel like a victim of a violent crime afterwards.
  2. Run a mile in under 6 minutes. Match or beat my all time (high school) record of 5:47.
  3. Run a 5K in under 22 minutes.
I'm getting flames tattooed on my
ankles if I ever run a 5K
in under 20 minutes. 


Here's to a full Summer of senseless violence at the hands of a sexy chocolatier. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck!

    That's an excellent mile time. I imagine onlookers were whooping it up as you ran in circles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh! I have no idea if anyone was cheering. I couldn't hear anything over the rusty clanking of my heart at 180 bpm.

      Delete
  2. Whoa! You were smokin' up the track, Scott! That's awesome. So, I guess it's safe to hypothesize that joining the Godiva Track Club results in increased speed. Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ash! I was shooting for anything sub-7 in the mile, so was surprised when I limped across the line for 6:19 (foot was stinging pretty bad in the last lap).

      You don't have to join Godiva to participate in the Summer Track Series. It's open to all comers (there are no prizes, just your own personal satisfaction, or dissatisfaction in my case).

      Delete
  3. Running on a track is a different animal. No matter how smooth I am on other terrain, I feel like a clunky Rube Goldberg machine on the oval. I have advice, but looks like you're already pretty fast on that surface. Getting smooth would probably do a lot to make you faster. Good luck. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when all you have to think about is how you are running, everything seems odd and disjointed.

      Delete

Sorry about the captcha. Spammers ruin everything.