Wednesday, October 26, 2011

2012 Running Stupidity - Race Calendar

I've been so busy, I completely forgot to post a race schedule for this Fall/Winter/Spring. I've already completed the first race of the season, but still I have no race calendar posted. As usual, I'm not winning and am somewhere near the back of the pack in the whole "post your race calendar" event. Not that I expect anyone to really care about my "race" calendar, but I thought it would be a nice way to organize and track the races I plan to "experience".  So, before I sarcastically quote any other random words, let's get to the races.


  1. October 15, 2011, Medoc Trail Marathon - Done. Loved it. Will do it again. Race report.
  2. October 29, 2011, Pumpkin Run (4K) - Running this one with my son, Ryan. Done. Race report
  3. November 13, 2011, Misery Run (5M) - Hay bales, mud and poop! What's not to love... Done. Loved it! Race report.
  4. December 3, 2011, Run at the Rock (14M) - Ran the 7 mile race last season and loved it. Returning for the long version. Done. Had a great time! Race report.
  5. December 11, 2011, Couch Mountain (5M) - How hard could running up a mountain with the name "Couch" possibly be? Also, there's a picnic afterwards. Who doesn't like picnics?! Done. Had a great time with my son. Race report.
  6. December 17, 2011, Pilot Mountain 5K Challenge - Up the mountain and around the knob. Where's my inhaler? Done. Brutal, but fun! Race report.
  7. January 1, 2012, New Year's Day Run (5M) - Happy New Year! We'll see how hangovers and cross country running work together... Done. Hangovers? No. The flu? Yes. Race report.
  8. January 14, 2012, Little River Trail Race (10M) - Ran the 7K last season. Going for the 10 miler this time. More is better, right? Done. Ran OK, but had fun. Race report.
  9. January 15, 2012, Eno Equalizer (4M) - Eno River State Park run. I've hiked there, but never run on the trails. At least there won't be any ticks or snakes to worry about. MISSED. Too beat up from the Little River Trail Race.
  10. February 4, 2012, Uwharrie Mountain Run (20M) - Supposed to be a very, tough race, but looking forward to giving it a go. Hoping to see Sasquatch out there. Done. Tough run! Race report
  11. February 12, 2012, Geezer Pleezer (?M) - Going to be a tough day since I have to put 12 total miles in somehow as part of the Virtual 12athon Challenge. Done (barely). Race report. I crashed physically after this race. The sad details are here.
  12. March 3, 2012, Umstead Trail Marathon - I have unfinished business with this race... I'm just not sure if it owes me, or I owe it. Either way, I'm thinking I will be the one paying. Done. Didn't make my time goal, but I'm pretty happy with the race. Race report.
  13. March 17, 2012, Hanging Rock Trail Race (12K) - I've hiked this loop before. It's brutal. Should be an "interesting" run. Done. Raced this one with my better half. Race report.
  14. March 18, 2012, Hard Hill Climb (10M) - Final race of the Godiva Winter Series. Depending on how Hanging Rock goes, I may drop back to either the 3 or 7 mile version of this race. Who am I kidding. I'll be lucky to pull off the 3 mile. Done. My son, Ryan, and I earned the shirt!
  15. April 1, 2012, Mountains To Sea Trail Challenge (?M) - Probably run the 12 miler again, but they have a 50K (31M) option for 2012. Hmm, if I'm healthy and running well, first ultra maybe. I'm sure it will all go swimmingly. MISSED. Volunteered at the Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Run instead. Great experience!
  16. April 28, 2012, Owl's Roost Rumble Trail Half Marathon - Heading back for another slow attempt at the roots and lumber. Great race last season with one of the best shirts by far. Hopefully coming in under 2 hours this year? Done. Achieved my sub-2 hour goal!
  17. May 5, 2012, New River Marathon - My lovely wife, Sherri's first marathon. I'll be running it with her, and going for my own Boston Qualifying time (not!!!). MISSED. Not ready and Sherri was injured. 
  18. July 14, 2012, The Scream Half Marathon - All down hill, "easy". Done. Had a great time pacing my wife down the mountain, but I really stank at pacing.
In addition to these, I will be participating in the Virtual 12athon Challenge, a cool, year-long event put together by Stet That Run. So, mix in a 12 mile run on the 12th of each month during the year. I also plan to work in as many of the challenges as I can stand.

I'm tired just reading all of this. However, if  you have suggestions for other cool trail races, please leave a comment. None of this is final. Heck, I may not make it past the first race, so this whole calendar may be nothing more than wishful thinking, destined for a big, fat, FAIL. But, I'm going to have fun trying!

13 comments:

  1. So, there's a race to post race calendars, eh? I guess that's another race I won't be running, since I barely get to plan for a race in advance these days. :sadface:
    Anyway, have you considered the Raven Rock Rumble (10 miler) on November 19? I ran it last year and loved it. There's also the Goose Creek 10-mile Trail race on November 19, if you feel like driving out to Washington, NC. Or, perhaps, you have other plans on November 19.
    Thanks for posting this! It'll give me ideas for my wish list next year, my poor, neglected race wish list. :sadfaceagain:

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ash - Oh, you can certainly *plan*, like me. But I have a feeling I'll be crossing out several of these as life happens. So, you are right, it's more of a wish list than a hard schedule. But that won't keep me from trying hard to stick to it..

    I was thinking about Raven Rock. I've hiked those trails with my kids. But I'm trying to limit my long distance drives and I already have 4 that are more than an hour away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here I had decided the only races I'm gonna do in 2012 are the Martinsville and Triple Lakes HMs, plus the 12athon, but your calendar reminds me that I also want to run Owl's Roost. Wouldn't object to a return to the Scream either. See where this is going?

    New River is a gorgeous course. You and your wife will love it. Someday I'll revisit that one to avenge my previous effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Iris - I see where you are headed. See that guy about a mile ahead of you, the one with the totally unrealistic expectations given his own running abilities? That's me.. way ahead of you... :-)

    I tried to pick a good first marathon for Sherri. It was either New River or Tobacco Road, and my own bad experience at TR pushed me towards NR. Besides, I *love* the mountains.

    And, you can't miss Owl's Roost! If other stuff drops off my calendar (as is likely), that's one I will try very hard to maintain. Too fun...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I can ever get healthy I hope to see you at all of these except 12 and 16. You have very good taste in races!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ac - Cool, I hope your recovery continues! Oh, and I stole most of this list from some dude's blog. Can't quite remember the blog name. Something about "running downstairs", or "falling down", or something like that...

    Hope to see you at the poop run. My son is extremely excited about the mud, poop and hay bales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is a full schedule! Hope to see you at a few of those. Were you able to get into Uwharrie? It took me almost an hour of refreshing and resubmitting to finally complete registration...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Andrew - Yeah, I'm thinking I will probably make about 75% of these, but who knows.

    And I *did* make it into Uhwharrie, but like you it took a lot of clicking! You doing the 8, the 20 or the 40?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I signed up for the 20 this year. I did the 8 last year, and 20 seems less intimidating than signing up for a full marathon, even though it took my wife longer to do uwharrie 20 last year...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool, I'm excited about the 20 already. I have no plans other than to finish that beast on my feet. I'm going to use it as a hard training run for the Umstead marathon, which is a month later. I have "real" goals for Umstead this time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scott, since you are also contemplating your first 50K this year (like me), did you happen to see this?

    http://www.easterndivideultra.com/geninfo.html

    I am soooo tempted to leverage my Umstead marathon mileage and give this one a try instead of waiting until fall. Lots of pros and cons from a family scheduling perspective, but I'm thinking about it. Love point-to-point trail runs! I think that's what I loved most about the Uwharrie 20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Steph! I had not seen that race before. Very tempting... Now you've got my wheels turning...

      Delete
    2. According to your calendar, you don't have any pain and suffering scheduled for June.

      Delete

Sorry about the captcha. Spammers ruin everything.