Wednesday, August 17, 2011

My Mind Is Going

My Mind Is Going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it...

My mind tends to wander on runs. Many times I find myself miles into my run and can't remember exactly how I got to that point. This is slightly disturbing, but not surprising. I run for a lot of reasons, but mostly for a mental escape. The physical benefits are just a happy side effect.

So what do I think about on my runs, you ask? Or maybe you don't and you go back to browsing Facebook...

I think about a lot of very different things. I try not to think about work, even though my work is very interesting and challenging, or personal problems, or any sort of nagging worries. Running is an escape after all. A privilege. A guilty pleasure. Yes, I feel guilty about running sometimes, and so should you (another post for another day perhaps).

Mostly I think about what I observe. And even then, I think about those observations at different levels. Sometime I wonder about the incomprehensible tangle of time and geology that produced the ground I am ephemerally drifting across. Other times, I think about the flow of seasons and the beauty of nature. And sometimes, I spiral into a deterministic endless loop pondering the mystery of free will.

And then there are days like today, when I think about t-shirts. Yes, t-shirts. Well, more specifically, t-shirt humor. After all, I'm the same guy who wonders how a zombie would run a half marathon.

If I could design my own running shirt with a logo, what would I choose as my logo? Here are some of my ideas..

From an older blog post:
Front: "I Am Not A Wheel"
Rear: "I Am Water"

Inspired by Running Down:
Front: "SDRC" (Shirtless Douche-bag Running Club)
Rear: "Go Bare or Go Home!"
or
Front: "SDRC"
Rear: "Irony Is the Enemy"

For all the back-of-the-packers out there:
Front: "I'm Really OK"
Rear: "I'm Really Still Racing"

For Barefoot Josh:
Front: Picture of a brown udder
Rear: "Powered By Chocolate Milk"


For myself:
Front: Picture of Krampus
Rear: "Krampus Racing. Cramping When It Counts"

From my Umstead Marathon Experience:
Front: "Strong Work"
Rear: "Krampus Racing"

I'm open for more suggestions (feel free to add them in the comments). I may even have a couple of tech shirts printed at Big Frog to wear at my next race, just for fun.




9 comments:

  1. I want a shirt to wear in races. On the back it would say:
    "As you pass, slap me in the back of the head for starting out too fast"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another option for the back of mine could be "Your spitting/farting motivated me to pass you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a coincidence, Scott! I found myself thinking about logos and slogans for running shirts during yesterday's run, too! I didn't come up with anything clever, though. I got stuck on color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ac - Damn, I should have thought of that one, since it applies to me in nearly every race I run.

    @Josh - Funny! How about something like "It's not a fart. It's an organic turbo!"

    @Ash - Go with the obvious logo: "This Shirt Is Yellow"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would probably go with something on the back like "This runner makes wide right turns", "stay back at least 200ft" or "how's my racing, dial xxx-xxxx"

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Andrew - That's genius. The last thing I need is another running shirt, but I would pay money for one that said "Not responsible for broken windshields". Not even sure what that would mean, but it's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From a slower runner.
    How about this for the back of a shirt:
    "If You Can Read This You Suck As A Runner!"
    or
    "If You Can Read This Please Read It Loud!" Then below it will say "Nice Ass, Dude!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Awesome stuff, guys! Here's another I thought of over the weekend, in honor the mail truck I was following: "Caution - runner makes frequent stops"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Or for the nervous runner not wanting to be passed: "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear."

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the captcha. Spammers ruin everything.